I could say it a million times, and I will continue to say it a million more.
Consistency is SO important when it comes to health and fitness.
As a gym owner and coach, all I have to do is look at who in our community is getting the best results, and then look at why?
Most of the time, it is because:
1: They care
2: They show up
3: They do the right things, consistently, ALL YEAR ROUND!
So, the question therein lies, what can someone do to become more consistent? These are my 6 steps for success:
1. BE CLEAR ON YOUR GOALS- understand why you have them and what it will mean to you to achieve them. This will give you a clearer picture on what you need to be consistent with. It could be:
– Training 3 times per week, every week
– Meal prep on Sundays and Wednesdays, every week
– Working on Mobility twice per week, every week
– Eating breakfast, every day
2. BE REALISTIC, when it comes to what you are going to be consistent with.For example, if you know you can get to the gym 3 times a week, and sometimes can make it 4 or 5 times, rather than shooting for 5 and failing, and only making it once or twice some weeks, make 3 your goal, and hit that number EVERY WEEK- that is being consistent! If you are able to make it 4 or 5 times on the odd week, then that’s a bonus.
3. BE ORGANISED- create a weekly schedule. Incorporate your strategy into your weekly / daily schedule, and as much as you can, stick the the schedule.
– Blocking 6-7am Monday, Wednesday and Friday as your training time
– Scheduling Meal Prep for 2 hours on Sunday and Wednesday evening
– Allocating 1 hour to Mobility / Recovery on your rest days, Thursday and Sunday
4. USE REMINDERS- visual cues are great. They should remind you of your goals and your schedule. It is easy to lose sight of your goals if you are not being reminded of them, constantly.
5. TRUST SOMEONE, with your intentions, and ask them to help keep you accountable. This might just be the odd question- “How is your training going”, or if you are getting slack “What meals are you preparing for next week”. Your life partner, or training partner would be a good selection here.
6. FIND AN ENVIRONMENT – and group of people which foster your needs and motivate you to show up. Making exercising and staying healthy a positive experience will only motivate you to keep it up. Having people around you that contribute to the positive experience is INVALUABLE!
Understand there are no quick fixes. Good health and fitness is an ongoing process, and needs to become part of your lifestyle. If you incorporate these 6 steps into your life, I guarantee you will get the results you want.